Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is the best thing to put all of my pictures off of my computer on ;in case my computer ever crashes?

I have serval pictures that I have taken over the years on my computer.All of these pictures I have spent a great deal of time editing,and putting in order by album of how old my kids are in the pictures.Now my computer is running slow,and needs to go get checked,however I want to save my pictures first,is there anything out there that will hold all of my pictures off of my computer,just in case they happen to get deleted or my computer ever crashes? Take in mind that these are lots of pictures,so I would need something that could store lots of memory. Thanks for your help!What is the best thing to put all of my pictures off of my computer on ;in case my computer ever crashes?
1. at Costco, and other stores, there are external hard drives that connect by USB or either USB or Firewire.





They cost between $79 and $399.


Bought a Lacie 250Gb that is both USB and Firewire for PCs, Macs, and works great on my Linux systems, for $89.95 at Costco.





plug it in, open the filesystem screen, drag folders over to it!





2. More permanent solution is to save everything in CDroms or DVDroms.





I have clients who film 200 to 500 Gb of nature movies for Discovery Channel and NatGeo cable.





They buy and store the raw video footage for years on huge 500 Gb external drives, up on shelves. Just too much to put onto DVDroms.





I prefer firewire for security and speed.


HTH!





PS. I don't have those problems like you mentioned, about the systems slowing down, because we switched everything to http://www.mepis.org and are totally free of the Microsoft million malware, virus,trojans, extortion plans.What is the best thing to put all of my pictures off of my computer on ;in case my computer ever crashes?
First select all your pictures, right click properties and see how much space will be needed to backup your files.





You can store about 4.3gb on each dvd and 680mb or so on a regular cd depending on which one you have.


Then buy black discs and drag and drop them into a program like nero and copy them to your blank discs...
I burn mine to CD's all of the time. I burn the same pictures on a couple of CD's in case something happen to one of them. You can also take the CD to a photo shop like WalMart photo and have the pictures made into paper pictures. I did that with some of mine. It cost 28 cents each and they are on Kodak paper. They turned out really good. Now I can save them perminently. I can put them in an album or my purse or where ever I want. If you use Picassas on the computer you can put the pictures in a collage and print out a picture of alot of pictures all at once and frame it. You can also go to your local library if you don't have a printer at home and print the pictures off on regular paper. It is all up to you about what you want to do.
Hi. I use CD's normally, or a flash drive/thumb drive.





A friend of mine has hers printed by using Kodak.com





Check out my blog at www.garyfarnam.org
A spare hard drive. CD's are next best, but will degenerate over time.
Get a flash drive with 1 or 2 gigabytes or megabytes.

No comments:

Post a Comment